A Birds-Eye Look At The Pros And Cons Of Print Outsourcing
Are you looking into print outsourcing as a way to improve your business, reach more potential customers, or save yourself time and money? Do you hesitate because you aren’t sure if it’s really the best decision?
When it comes to printing, businesses need efficient and cost-effective solutions. Outsourcing print jobs may be an attractive option due to the numerous advantages it offers – including lower overheads and greater flexibility for future projects. However, there are a few potential drawbacks that you should consider before committing to this route.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of outsourcing printing services so you can make the best decision for your business.
Pros And Cons Of Print Outsourcing
In the simplest terms, print outsourcing is when a business decides to outsource certain printing tasks to a third-party provider. This provider could just handle the printing or the entire production process, from design to printing to delivery. It could include designing marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, or business cards, to producing large-scale promotional items like banners. You can then focus on other, revenue-generating tasks.
Pros Of Print Outsourcing
- With on-demand printing services, you can get exactly what your business needs without the hassle of backorders or extra storage fees.
- Printing companies are your one-stop shop for all of the necessary materials, whether it’s posters, flyers, banners, and more.
- With their expertise and experience, printing companies are the perfect resource to help you select which option would work best for your unique printing task.
- Companies looking to get their printed materials quickly should consider outsourcing. Some companies offer lightning-fast turnaround times – some orders can even be shipped within 24 hours!
- Professional printing companies can use different methods to print what your business needs, like digital and offset printing.
- You won’t need to purchase any equipment or worry about maintenance costs. This not only saves you money but also saves you valuable space in your office.
- Printing companies are experts when it comes to creating stunning visual designs. They can offer comprehensive services that encompass concept creation, branding, and logo design.
- Consistent quality for all prints. Professional printers have access to quality materials that can produce high-quality prints every time.
- When you need to make a change in product type later down the line, there are no cancelation charges.
- Free up more time for yourself and your team members to focus on revenue-generating activities like marketing campaigns or working directly with customers or clients.
Cons Of Print Outsourcing
- You don’t have direct oversight of the printing process, making it challenging to manage the production flow.
- When you outsource your printing services, you are now adding another vendor to your list of partners that need to be managed. This means additional communication, meetings, and paperwork that must be maintained to ensure that all deadlines and expectations are met.
- Not every company does great work or offers high-quality customer service.
- Outsourcing also means relying on a third-party provider who may have its own tools and websites that you will need to learn in order to understand how they track orders, invoices, payments, etc.
- Outsourcing is only a better investment if you have the means and processes.
- When entering into an agreement with an outsourced printing service, it is important to get it in writing. This means getting lawyers involved, which can add additional costs when negotiating contracts and signing documents.
- One potential downside of outsourcing printing services is having to lay off current employees who handle print production internally.
In-House Printing Pros And Cons
In-house printing refers to the process of producing your own documents in-house, as opposed to using an external or third-party printing company.
Pros Of In-House Printing
- Cost-Effective: in-house printing can be more cost-effective than outsourcing your printing needs.
- Quick Turnaround Times: you can usually print what you need more quickly, depending on your machine and the amount you’re printing.
- Greater Control Over Quality: when you print in-house, you have greater control over the quality of the final product.
- More Flexible Printing Options: you can choose from a variety of paper types and sizes to create a custom product that meets your specific needs.
- Increased Security: your documents remain in your possession until they are ready to be shipped out.
Cons Of In-House Printing
- Cost: in-house printers are typically more expensive than commercial printers, and the cost of ink and paper can also add up quickly.
- Quality: commercial printers have access to higher-quality printers and papers.
- Time: if you don’t have someone on staff who is familiar with printing, it can take a while to get your prints done.
- Limited Options: commercial printers typically offer a wider range of services than in-house printers.
- Maintenance: in-house printers require regular cleaning and maintenance in order to keep them running properly, and this can add up over time. Additionally, if something goes wrong with your printer, you may need to hire a professional to fix it.
Use Lineage So You Can Print And Deliver Like The Pros
When it comes to printing, you want to make sure the final product is perfect – down to the very last detail.
Lineage is the best when it comes to printing mailing documents (like direct mail). We also partner with the best document management and printing technology companies in the country (Quadient and Konica Minolta).
If you need to outsource printing documents for mailing or need a printer that can help your business grow, do what thousands of other businesses have done – fill out our contact form or call us today.
*Lineage doesn’t handle printing for anything outside of documents expressly meant for mailing.